• D. Brit

Trump Signs 4 Executive Orders for 2nd Stimulus Package - Updated

Updated: Aug 10, 2020


What was Done:

  • Saturday, Trump signed four executive orders for a second coronavirus stimulus package after Democrats and White House negotiators were unable to reach an agreement on a coronavirus stimulus relief bill this week.

  • The Executive Orders include a $400 per week supplemental unemployment payment (down from the $600 per week offered in the first stimulus package), an extension of student loan relief as well as a payroll tax holiday for Americans earning less than $100,000.

  • UPDATE: The new orders do not include an extension on the eviction moratorium as previously reported but actually encourage his cabinet to consider taking action on the issue.

  • The new $400 per week benefit will require that states pay 25% and the federal government will cover the other 75%.


What was Said:

  • Trump has blamed Democrats for the 2nd stimulus package stalemate saying "Democrats are obstructing all of it, therefore I'm taking executive action...and we're going to save American jobs and provide relief to the American workers."

  • Trump says his administration is looking at additional income tax and capital gains tax cuts for American taxpayers as well and has promised more relief if he wins a second term.

  • Democrats have previously stated that they will likely challenge the executive orders in court as they circumvent Congressional approval.


12 views0 comments